Before You Install
This section provides general information you should review before installing the Ed-Fi ODS / API Admin API for v1.3.3.
Compatibility & Supported ODS / API Versions
This version of the Admin API has been tested and can be installed for use with the Ed-Fi ODS / API v3.4-6.1. See the Ed-Fi Technology Version Index for more details.
The following are required to install the Admin API:
- The Admin API provides an interface to administer an Ed-Fi ODS / API. Understandably, you must have an instance of the Ed-Fi ODS / API v3.4-6.1 deployed and operational before you can use the Admin API. Tested configurations include on-premises installation via binary installation or source code installation.
- A SQL Server 2012 or higher, or Postgres 11 or higher database server (i.e., the same platform requirement applicable to your ODS / API).
- A modern web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge is required to view live Swagger documentation. Internet Explorer 11 (a pre-installed browser on Windows Server) may load but may not function when using Admin API.
Admin API is not included with the ODS-Docker solution by default, but can be hosted as part of that ecosystem.
To install Admin API on Docker, first Install the ODS / API Docker environment following these instructions. Then, apply the below changes to the environment to introduce the Admin API. Admin API does not support in-place upgrades from prior versions. Please install a fresh copy of Admin API to upgrade from prior versions.
1. Include Admin API in the ODS Docker Setup
Add the following to your
docker-compose.yml file. This can be done either instead of or in addition to the
Admin API Application
This service depends on the
pb-admin and subsequently
db-admin services to run.
Admin API Database
For the most part, the Admin API shares the same database schema as the Admin App. However, there are a few tables required for storing API client authentication which need to be initialized manually. You can see the details in First-Time Configuration for Admin 1.x.
Rather than introducing these tables explicitly, for Docker we have provided an alternative image for use with Admin API:
edfialliance/ods-admin-api-db, which is to be used in place of the existing
edfialliance/ods-api-db-admin image for your DB service.
If you are introducing Admin API to an existing composition do NOT change the volume mapping configuration in order to preserve your data. Only change the image and tag of the existing service. The below block is a sample of this, based on an example ODS / API Docker environment composition. Make sure you update the mode (
Add the following to your environment settings file to support Admin API. Note that when running both Admin App and Admin API, some of these settings may overlap. This is expected, and the same values can be used.
Nginx / Gateway Configuration
Update your nginx server configuration to include the Admin API in the reverse proxy.
2. Relaunch the Docker Composition
After updating the files, restart the docker composition.
3. Execute First-Time Configuration
Continue on to First-Time Configuration for Admin 1.x.