The Ed-Fi Data Standard and related technologies can be extended to add new entities and elements. The set of standard extensions are codified in the Ed-Fi Extension Framework, documented herein.
The Ed-Fi Extension Framework is implemented via the MetaEd IDE, and the Ed-Fi Extensions Framework Guide in each product that supports data model extensions.
Extension Framework Categories
The Ed-Fi Extension Framework defines two categories of extension:
- Supported Extensions. Extensions to the Ed-Fi data model are only allowed if specifically enumerated in the Extension Framework.
- Extensions in this category generally have implementation and documentation support in Ed-Fi technology such as the Ed-Fi ODS / API.
- Supported extensions are documented here.
- Unsupported Extensions. Extensions not in the Extension Framework are not allowed. The documentation attempts to enumerate the most common of those. The Extension Framework evolves over time, so there are some community input mechanisms in place to help the community explore new models that may be candidates for support.
- Extension options under investigation. In some cases, the documentation on unsupported extensions may link to Ed-Fi Tracker tickets discussing extension options and designs are candidates for support under the Extensions Framework. These tickets should not be interpreted to indicate that a feature is on the roadmap or "coming soon." We do invite interested parties to provide feedback on these tickets as to the utility of these features.
- Over-ride options in the MetaEd IDE. In a few cases the MetaEd IDE may provide an over-ride option that allows users to bypass validations that would otherwise block an extension. This is usually enabled when an extension has partial support in Ed-Fi technology, and implementers may be able to determine on their own if the extension can work reliably. In these cases, such an over-ride option should also not be interpreted to indicate that support is on the roadmap or "coming soon."
- Common unsupported extension scenarios are described here.