- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
INPUT NEEDED: we are looking for an This page is no longer being maintained. The current Ed-Fi community members to contribute to and/or verify the information on this page.approach is to operationalize data out via actual tools: see Fizz Instructional Systems Toolkit
How Do You Access Canvas LMS Data?
Canvas LMS has an API that publishes a variety of data. Documentation can be found here: https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/
Access follows standard patterns for REST API access, and should be straightforward for a developer.
Canvas Data Services
Canvas also makes available a set of data services, which can include user event data - see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Admin-Guide/What-is-Canvas-Data-Services/ta-p/142
What Data is Available via the API?
The Canvas API provides a lot of access, including:
- Logins and logouts with date/times
- Assignments and assignment metadata and status
- Assignment grades and feedback (the API also allows the lookup of rubrics for these grades). The API also provides a history of grade changes over time, which could be useful for assessing student progress.
- Assessments and assessment results ("quizzes") administered by the LMS
What Data is Available via Data Services?
INPUT NEEDED: anyone inspected this yet?
Data Not available
From the list of priority data elements, no gaps were seen. We invite community members to comment on gaps they may have.
Tools to Help
We have not found any API toolkits. However, we were shared some scripts that use the Data Services layer.
- Scripts that use Canvas Live Events: https://github.com/IUeDS/canvas_activity_features/tree/master/events
- Scripts that use Requests log: https://github.com/IUeDS/canvas_activity_features/tree/master/requests