Customizing by Adding New XML Complex Types
New complex types may be added for domain entities or associations when the data model must be extended for new kinds of information.
Extend the Graduation Model
For this example, we will create an extension to the graduation model to reflect basic information about the postsecondary institution(s) that the student is attending. The extended elements are in gray in the model diagram below:
Building upon the example from Part 3, it is possible to create a new complex element to capture the postsecondary institution information. To accomplish this, the following steps are taken:
- Define a new enumeration for EXTENSION-InstitutionControlType with the following enumerations:
- Define a new enumeration for EXTENSION-InstitutionLevelType with the following enumerations:
- Four Year
- Two To Four Year
- Less Than Two Year
- Define a new complex type EXTENSION-PostsecondaryInstitution.
- Within the EXTENSION-PostsecondaryInstitution type, add a sequence and define the following new elements:
- NameOfInstitution of type NameOfInstitution
- InstitutionLevel of type EXTENSION-InstitutionLevelType
- InstitutionControl of type EXTENSION-InstitutionControlType
- AcceptanceIndicator of type xs:boolean
- Define a new complex type EXTENSION-PostsecondaryInstitutionReferenceType of type ReferenceType.
- Within the EXTENSION-StudentAcademicRecordExtension, define a new element PostsecondaryInstitutionReference of type EXTENSION-PostsecondaryInstitutionReferenceType.
The following is the resulting schema with annotations removed for brevity:Continue
Developers' Guide Documentation Contents
Find out more about how to develop solutions based on the Ed-Fi Data Standard v2.0: